Car locksmiths say that one proven way to reduce the number of car thefts is to put a lockout key in your car. A lockout key is simply a duplicate key that you keep in a safe place outside of your car. Many people put their lockout key in their glove box, but car locksmiths say that’s not the best place for it.
They recommend putting it in your pocket or purse. If you’re worried about losing lockout key in your car, you can buy a keychain that attaches to your car’s key fob. That way, if you lose your key, you’ll still be able to get into your car. You can also ask your car locksmith to install a hidden compartment in your car where you can keep your key.
Locate the locking mechanism on your car
If you own a car, chances are you will eventually need to put a lockout key in your car on it. Though the process may vary depending on the make and model of your car, this guide will give you the basics of what you need to do. The first step is to locate the locking mechanism on your car. The location will vary depending on the make and model of your car, but it is usually located near the door handle or under the steering wheel.
Once you have found the locking mechanism, insert the key into the lock and turn it clockwise until you hear a clicking noise. This indicates that the lock is engaged and the key cannot be removed. If you need to remove the key, simply insert a flathead screwdriver into the slot next to the key and turn it counterclockwise. This will disengage the lock and allow you to remove the key.
Insert the key into the locking mechanism
If you’re looking to add an extra layer of security to your car, one option is to install a lockout key in your car. This type of key is designed to prevent the car from being started if the wrong key is used. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to install a lockout key in your car.
1. Start by purchasing a lockout key in your car from your local auto parts store.
2. Insert the key into the locking mechanism. You’ll need to insert it all the way in and then turn it to the left.
3. Once the key is in the locked position, take the provided screw and insert it into the hole on the side of the mechanism.
4. Tighten the screw until it’s snug. You don’t want to over-tighten it, as this could damage the mechanism.
5. That’s it! Your car is now equipped with a lockout key.
Turn the key to the “lock” position
When you want to put a lockout key in your car, there are a few things you need to do. First, you need to find the lockout key in your car. This is usually a small, metal key that is different from your regular car key.
Once you have found the lockout key in your car, you need to insert it into the keyhole. Then, you need to turn the key to the “lock” position. This will ensure that your car is locked and that no one will be able to get into it.
Remove the key from the locking mechanism
It’s important to know how to put a lockout key in your car, in case you ever find yourself in a situation where you’re locked out of your car. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
1. Find a thin, flat object that you can use to slide underneath the door. A credit card or a driver’s license will work.
2. Insert the object into the space between the door and the frame, right where the lock is located.
3. Apply pressure to the object, so that it bends.
4. Remove the key from the locking mechanism.
5. Once the key is removed, you should be able to open the door.
If you don’t have a lockout key in your car, you can also use a coat hanger to try and open the door. Just straighten out the hanger and insert it into the space between the door and the frame. Then, try to hook the hanger around the locking mechanism and pull it up.
Tools Needed for Installing a lockout key in your car
Before you begin the process, it’s important to gather the necessary tools. Here’s a list of items you’ll need:
- Blank Key: Ensure you have a blank key that is compatible with your car’s make and model. You can find these at auto parts stores or online retailers.
- Key Cutting Machine: This machine is used to duplicate the original key onto the blank one. If you don’t have one, you can visit a locksmith or a specialized key-cutting service.
- Key Fob Programmer (if applicable): Some modern cars require programming for the lockout key to work properly. If your vehicle falls into this category, make sure you have access to a programmer.
- Screwdriver Set: You may need a screwdriver to access the lock mechanism in some cases.
Insert the lockout key into the locking mechanism
If your car has a locking mechanism, you can insert a lockout key in your car to keep it secure. Here’s how to do it:
1. Find the lockout keyhole. This is usually located on the side or underside of the steering column.
2. Insert the lockout key into the keyhole.
3. Turn the key to lock the mechanism.
4. Remove the key and store it in a safe place. Now your car is locked and secure.
If you need to unlock it, simply insert the key and turn it to the unlock position.
Turn the key to the “unlock” position
There are a few things you need to do in order to put a lockout key in your car. First, you need to find the right key. If you don’t have one, you can either get one from a locksmith or purchase one online. Once you have the key, you need to insert it into the lock. Next, you need to turn the key to the “unlock” position. Finally, you need to remove the key and close the door.
Remove the lockout key from the locking mechanism
Removing the lockout key in your car from the locking mechanism is a fairly easy process, but there are a few things to keep in mind. First, make sure that the vehicle is in park and that the emergency brake is engaged. Next, locate the locking mechanism – this is usually a small metal tab or knob located near the shifter. Once you’ve found it, simply insert the lockout key and turn it counterclockwise.
This will disengage the locking mechanism and allow you to remove the key. If you’re having trouble locating the locking mechanism, consult your vehicle’s owner’s manual. Once you’ve found it, the process is the same – insert the lockout key in your car and turn it counterclockwise. With a little practice, you’ll be able to remove the lockout key from the locking mechanism quickly and easily.
Most car owners are not aware that they can put a lockout key on their car. This is a simple and effective way to prevent car theft. By doing this, you can ensure that your car will not be stolen even if the thief has your keys.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use any blank key for my car’s lockout key?
No, it’s important to choose a blank key that is compatible with your specific car make and model. Using the wrong blank key may result in a key that doesn’t fit or function properly.
Can I cut the lockout key myself at home?
While it’s possible to cut a lockout key in your car at home with the right tools and skills, it’s highly recommended to visit a professional locksmith or hardware store. They have specialized equipment and expertise to ensure a precise and accurate cut that matches your original car key.
What should I do if my lockout key doesn’t work?
Answer: If lockout key in your car doesn’t work, double-check that it was cut accurately and matches your original key. If there are any issues, return to the key cutter and explain the problem. They should be able to address any discrepancies or recut the key if necessary. Remember, it’s crucial to test the lockout key before you actually need it in an emergency situation.
Putting a lockout key in your car is a simple process that can save you from the frustration of being locked out. By following these steps and using the right tools, you’ll have a reliable spare key on hand for emergencies. Remember to keep your lockout key in a safe place, and never leave it inside your vehicle. With this extra precaution, you can drive with peace of mind, knowing you have a backup plan in case of lockout situations.